Methodists have been a presence in Huntington since 1806, when Peter Hill formed the first Methodist Class here. Meetings were held in homes until 1829, when the first worship service was held in the new church on Main Street. This building (pictured at right) was simple in design, with no steeple or other adornments.
In 1837, the Methodists from Huntington Harbor, feeling it was too far to go to Main Street, built a lecture room on Park Avenue. The basement was rented for use as a school. In 1844, this building was sold to the Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church which has used it ever since.